Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelsey_laminack

What to do about my ceiling

Kelsey Upchurch
12 days ago

We have this odd 1/4 wall in our house that we want to remove, but our ceiling is a very patterned plaster that we want to keep. Do you think this plaster could be patched in to match? or any other ideas?!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 days ago

I would want to make sure you can find someone to copy that before wall removal . Can we see the space where you want the wall gone ? Poat a pic from further back and maybe explain why the wall needs to be removed. All that here in comments DO NOT start another post /

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    12 days ago

that is one of the more unusual ceiling treatments that I've seen. Very Art Deco in nature. It's going to be difficult to find someone with skill to recreate the ceiling in the portion where the wall is to be removed. Will also be difficult to get the color of the new ceiling to match the existing.

• oreet
    12 days ago

That will be next to impossible to match up. Please post pictures showing the whole space so we can give you other solutions.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    11 days ago

More pictures would help, but perhaps you could open up the wall without affecting the ceiling. Leave a half wall and post, with a small portion at the top just below the crown moulding.

• Kelsey Upchurch
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I appreciate the replies. ive attached another photo for context. This little wall is blocking a double door, as i show from the outside image. I want to open the space and take advantage of having the french doors. I love the ceiling and i want to keep it like it is, but this wall is bumming me out.

• Paul F.
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I think you should just cut out an opening in the wall and put a two sided open shadow box or open 'bookcase' in that wall to avoid having to deal with the ceiling.

• Jennz9b
    11 days ago

I would not move the wall if it were my house.

• la_la Girl
    11 days ago

trying to match the ceiling and (don’t forget) also the floor - seems like a lot of disruption - agree with Paul about opening it up

• enajasereht
    11 days ago

Maybe instead of moving the wall, get some different double doors. Ones that allow light to come in even when closed. If only at the top if you're worried about security.  I'm guessing it's the natural light you're after.

• Maureen
    11 days ago

You will require ceiling repairing, plastering, duplicating, trim and baseboard repairs and staining, and do you have a plan/budget to address the flooring.

Instead, consider painting a light color (in the entire space) and add a mirror, and a light colored runner and it won’t feel as cave like, if that was your aim. You could open it up as well.

Either way, you can take advantage of the corner in the living room, depending on furniture layout.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    11 days ago

I think keeping the wall and ceiling is better than trying to “take advantage of having the French doors.” IMO, the double doors do not add anything to the house (although it’s hard to tell without a full pic) and I wonder if they’re not original. The gem is the ceiling and that cozy room you have.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    11 days ago

I agree that double front doors don't add anything to a house. We had them in our vacation home years ago and only ever used one of them. We've since replaced them with one door and two sidelights. You might consider than in lieu of moving the wall.

• Paul F.
    11 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    11 days ago

Wow, Paul, YES!

• acm
    8 days ago

I imagine this short wall keeps winter drafts out of the adjoining room, but who knows. Think about the flooring too!

• rockybird
    8 days ago

If you are wanting more of an open feeling with the wall removal, you could put a divider in. It coud go to the ceiling and cover the damaged area from the wall removal. If it is a low bookcase or other shorter dividing object, you could fill in the part in the ceiling to match that divider so it looks intential and framed in with posts.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County